But back to Rosewood for a minute...
Our favorite Liars were on their way to the clink when... A completely sabotaged their truck, gassed them, and transferred them to a really creepy dollhouse complete with replicas of their own bedrooms.
But it kept on getting weirder...
|c/o PLL Wiki|
In a scene that gave me seriously chills... Mona was alive. She too had been captured by A, held there since her "murder," forced to dye her hair blonde and wear an Alison mask.
|c/o PLL Wiki|
Spencer worked out the name Charles from the blocks in A's lair. A is Charles... remember that message hidden behind the mirror in Mona's room? Each sentence anagrammed down to Charles DiLaurentis...
|c/o PLL Wiki|
Charles made the girls put on a fake prom. With Mona and Spencer's brains working together, they hatched a plan to escape. The girls successfully pulled off their plan and escaped from A... long enough for Spencer to find a room filled with toys, a popcorn machine, and home movies.
|c/o PLL Wiki|
On the home movie... we watched Mrs. D. holding a baby girl wrapped in a yellow blanket. She asked a young boy if he wanted to kiss his sister good night, then another young boy came into view. When the boy kissed the baby, she said good boy, then corrected herself and said good boys. Spencer wondered if one of the boys in the video was Charles. When he came into the room, he stared at Spencer but didn't take off his mask to reveal himself, or challenge her in any way. When Mona popped into the room, he disappeared just as quickly as he entered.
The girls continued with what they thought was an escape plan, only to get outside an realize they were fenced by extremely tall fencing. The Liars were about to climb out when Spencer rushed outside to stop them. The fence was a high-voltage electric fence. They were still trapped.
While all of that was going on... Alison finally came clean to Veronica and Peter Hastings about A. Toby, Ezra, and Caleb had started working together on trying to find the girls, but a warrant for Caleb's arrest interrupted their work. The Hastings parents went over to Toby's apartment to help find the girls, and Caleb left to turn himself in. All while Andrew bluebugged from downstairs in The Brew. Hmmmm...
Thoughts, Theories, and Random Facts
I don't think I was alone in my reaction to the Season 5 Finale. It was kind of like WTF? In all honesty, we really didn't get much, but the dramatic tension sure was set for the new season!
We didn't really find out who A was... we got a name. A is Charles, sure. But that really doesn't help us too much. This is pretty typical of what Pretty Little Liars likes to do with their reveAls. Sometimes it feels like they guage the fanbase reaction before plowing into the new season too much, giving them time to retcon plot lines that the fans don't like. I really hope that isn't the case with this. I hope they're continuing the story that they've planned and not detouring from it like they did with Ezra.
Mona being alive and back is the. Best. Thing. Ever. I loved the reunion between Hanna and Mona. Can they please just be best friends again, already?
I had a huge rambling that I posted right after the episode aired. I've copied it here with additional thoughts in red.
Charles & Jason = TWINS (PLL Rambling *049*)
So… I know that we aren’t really ever supposed to go with what we are given on PLL, but if that baby was really Bethany… The boys would be even older that the Jason/Melissa/Ian/Garrett crowd. I feel like that’s really the limit for age on Charles, to be honest. I'm not so sure about the math on this anymore. I was under the impression that the Jason/Melissa/Ian/Garrett crowd was closer in age to Alison and the Liars. It's entirely possible for the baby to be Bethany.
This Week's A
I'm not entirely sure that Charles as A is the end-all-be-all A. He might be reporting to someone else. A has always felt like a girl, so it's been weird to me that the reveal was Charles. He could still be working for Black Widow... making him Big A and her Uber A.
In the event that Charles is actually A by themselves...
1. Twin/Brother to Jason DiLaurentis... could be played by Drew Van Acker, Julian Morris, or Ian Harding if Charles is a twin. They really seem like the only ones who are eligible to be a potential Charles.
2. Wren Kingston... we don't know his middle name and he's missing most of the time.
3. Ezra Fitz... we don't know his middle name, either, and he's already proven the creepo factor with that whole book plot. Maybe it was just an elaborate cover up?
4. Someone we haven't met yet... I'm dreading the possibility of this.
5. Someone else... I know a lot of theories look at Byron and Pastor Ted. I think it's a little out there, but I do think that if the story is compelling enough, I could be okay with it. I'd rather have it be a character I know than an unknown. That would feel retconned.
In the event that Charles is not A by themselves, and is taking orders from an Uber A... (which to me, would mean that said Uber A is a girl.)
1. CeCe Drake... there's so much shadiness going on about her, and random things that have never been explained. We know that she likely got kicked out of UPenn because of something the girls did. Her roommate did refer to the girls as she-devils.
2. Jenna Marshall... she's really the only one who would want to go after the girls so vindictively. But there are so many times she seems like she's ready to pull out a white flag that I feel like she's thee red herring A of the show. She's been suspected a lot.
3. Bethany Young... in the event that she's alive and Sara Harvey is in the grave. Which would make the events of that night just about implausible!
4. Alison DiLaurentis... they could pull the hugest twist ever and make it that this has been her game all along. But it would really have to make sense, because I don't think we've seen enough clues towards it. I think we've seen a lot of evidence pointing towards anything else.
That's all I've got for now... I really do think that finale fever and the little bit of new information we got really just set me over the edge a little bit. I've got some rewatching to do, and I'm going to try my best to come out with an all-inclusive theory, a season 5 report card, and predictions for the sixth season! Pretty Little Liars returns to ABC Family on Tuesday, June 2nd for a 10 episode run. Game On, Charles kicks off the 6th season at 8PM EST.